Healthy eating is easier said than practised. Food habits evolve with age and may not always match with those of your parents. While some of you will happily devour a tub of chocolate ice cream, your aged parents will satiate their appetite with puffed rice and water.
Healthy food choices are indeed the best form of investment to lead a healthy life. Elderly parents who maintain a diet, reduce their vulnerability to illnesses and also create an effective solution to all their health-care issues.
With increasing age, your parents’ metabolism level diminishes, since their bodies don’t need as many calories as your body requires. Certain nutrients that aged people need are proteins drinks, low-fat dairy items, and whole grains, like brown rice. Therefore, you should start preparing meal ideas for elderly parents as soon as possible.
Where To Start With Planning Meal Ideas For Elderly Parents?
Often, when children start planning meal ideas for their old parents, they feel clueless about how to incorporate taste and nutrition in their diet. So, let’s solve that stumped feeling. Children must begin with learning the importance of meal planning for parents (senior citizens).
Look for variety in the food habits so that your elderly parents don’t get the same staple items every day.
Taste matters a lot. Make sure that your choice of recipes is both healthy and delicious.
Plan a week’s meal ideas for elderly parents so that there is no chaos and everything is organised.
4. Budget Diet
One doesn’t necessarily have to invest a huge sum of money in catering to their parents’ healthy diet. There are plenty of home-made, wholesome and refreshing meal ideas that you can follow.
Find Out What To Avoid And What To Include In Elderly Parents’ Meal Plan
Elderly parents need more nutrition because they are susceptible to low immunity, indigestion, fatigue and muscle pain. As their daily activities get nullified, they become prone to diseases like arthritis, cholesterol, diabetes, and so much more. It is the children’s responsibility to make sure that their parents live a long and fit life. Eating right is the main priority to ensure their health.
Multivitamins and minerals prevent oxidation of cells in older people. If your parents are unable to intake vitamins in natural form, then there are good multivitamin supplements available in the market.
Tips For Diet Plans For Senior Citizens
- Constipation after a certain age is very common. Hence, there is a need for antioxidants. Seasonal fruits should be, therefore, a major part of meal plans.
- As people age, there are chances that the growth of tissues and cells become diminished. Egg-whites and paneer are good solutions for such cases.
- You can prevent high cholesterol problems by using mustard oil or olive oil while cooking.
- Muscular fatigue and high blood pressure are chronic problems. Make sure that your elderly parents consume fenugreek leaves, cumin seeds, and coconut water to protect their bodies.
- During the summer season, dehydration is very common. So keep in mind that your parents drink at least 15 glasses of water in a day.
- Absorption of nutrients is essential. Yoga and a little bit of early morning exercise or even a walk in the park is advised.
A Sample Meal Plan For Elderly Parents – One Day Plan
Be smart while making meal plans for your parents.
- One whole-wheat bagel with one tablespoon of peanut butter.
- A cup of coffee with only 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- A banana or any fruit.
- Two slices of bread with tuna and lettuce.
- Raw carrots (3-4)
- One cup of milk (low-fat)
- Spaghetti with diced tomatoes, no salt and one tablespoon of cheese.
- Salad with vegetables that are present at home.
- Drink 1 glass water before going to bed.
4. Evening Snacks
- Any fruit that is available.
- Fat-free yogurt (strawberry sounds tasty and healthy)
Find Out The Facts About Healthy Eating After The Age Of 60
- As your parents’ age, you will notice that their body is unable to absorb B12.
- You will also notice that their skin won’t be able to generate vitamin D in a quantity that is needed for the body.
- Sometimes, while consuming more amounts of certain nutrients, there are overdoses of calories. It can lead to harmful obesity.
- Your parents might complain of not having the appetite to eat daily meals, but you need to make sure they don’t skip any meals.. They need to eat at least a little something.
- Don’t feed leftovers to your elderly parents just because you want to save time and money.
- Make meal ideas for elderly parents as soon as possible. ‘Too late to start’ doesn’t exist. You can make healthy changes in your lifestyle whenever you feel the necessity.
Top 5 Quick, Easy, Healthy Meal Ideas (Options) For Elderly Parents
- For breakfast, your parents can have oats, whole-grain pancakes, boiled or poached eggs and whole-wheat toast with almond butter.
- For lunch, your parents can have salad, salmon wrap, omelette and cottage fries.
- For dinner, your parents can have grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, boiled asparagus, beans and rice.
Importance Of Healthy Meals For Parents Who Are Above 60-65
With a healthy diet, you can prevent the following ailments –
- Muscle loss which leads to more risks of falling and breaking bones.
- Fish oil helps with arthritis.
- Make sure to include fibre in their diet so that bowels stay healthy and active.
Errick McAdams has rightly said that if people keep good food in their fridge, they are more likely to eat that good, healthy food. It is not beneficial for older people to eat food that contains some chemical substances. It is good to add more colour to meal ideas for elderly parents, by using more vegetables and fruits.
Health is the real wealth. People need to understand that if they inculcate healthy food habits, there will be no need for medicines. If your diet goes awry, then medicines will be of no use. So, go by these meal ideas and choose to lead a happy, healthy life.