|1.Vive||2. Drive||3. Vive|
Stooping down to the toilet seat is no easy task for most elderly people with mobility issues, back pain, Alzheimer’s and other conditions. A raised toilet seat with handles for elderly is one of the ways you can make the life of a senior parent or relative so much easier at least when going to the toilet is concerned.
Today you can add some height and safety to the toilet by just buying a portable toilet seat for elderly that can be taken off when you don’t need it.
Raised toilet seats for senior citizens allow them to retain their independence and dignity not to mention it’s a very safe way to use the toilet and avoid falls and accidents.
My top picks
- Vive Toilet Safety Frame for Bathroom Toilet Seat.
- Drive Medical Premium Seat Riser with Removable Arms.
- Vive Raised Toilet Seat – Portable Elevated Riser with Padded Handles.
- Drive Medical Folding Bedside Commode Seat with Commode Bucket.
- PCP Raised Toilet Seat with Safety Frame.
Why Should You Invest In A Toilet Seat With Handles For Elderly?
As stated above, a raised toilet seat with handles for elderly makes life so much easier for seniors and also enhances safety.
- You will be able to support yourself and hold onto something stable as you go down to the seat and as you get up especially if your legs are weak.
- A raised toilet seat with handles enables you to have privacy and independence because you won’t need someone to take you to the toilet.
- There will be reduced pressure on your knees as you go down because you are supporting yourself
- The chances of falling or having a bathroom accident ate almost zero.
- You will feel more confident to go to the toilet alone without fear of falling or not being able to get up from the toilet.
Safety Tips: Using a Toilet Seat for Elderly Adults.
Since most household falls occur in the bathroom, you have to make sure you take every precaution to stay safe when using the toilet.
- Make sure the seat is the right fit for the toilet and the clamp is well secured. A wobbly potty seat for adults can cause more harm than good especially if you have any pain.
- Do not put too much pressure on the handles especially if you are heavy. Try to use your entire body to lift yourself up instead of relying on the hands only.
- Ensure that the toilet seat for elderly is clean and dry because if it’s wet you can slide and fall inside the toilet. Be sure that the floor is also dry so you don’t slip and fall.
- Make sure that your feet are resting flat on the floor. The best toilet booster seat for adults should be the perfect height for the user so our feet should not be dangling in the air.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Safe Toilet Seat For Elderly.
- Optimal Height
A high toilet seat for elderly can add between 2 inches to six inches of height to the toilet. You should choose a seat that adds the perfect height for you so that it’s not too low or too high.
Your feet should still be able to sit flat on the ground when you are sitting on the toilet.
- Ease Of Use
The best toilet seat risers for seniors should be easy to install without tools and easy to take off when you need to move with it.
If it needs to be adjusted, the process should be easy enough for an elderly person and it should also be easy to clean.
You need to look at what kind of safety features the senior toilet chair is offering you because the whole point of a raised toilet for elderly is safety.
The best raised toilet chair for elderly should have slip resistant pads and clamps to secure it to the toilet so that it doesn’t move around. If there are safety handles, they should be strong and non-slip.
It’s very important that your preferred toilet seat booster for adults is compatible with your existing toilet otherwise they won’t work together.
If the toilet is elongated, you should also get an elongated seat.
There are many brands that make and sell handicap toilet seat with handles and they all have different price range.
While some times its important to buy something expensive for quality purposes, be sure to check out more affordable options as long as they look safe, durable and stable.
Top 5 Best Raised Toilet Seats for Seniors 2020
1. Vive Toilet Safety Frame for Bathroom Toilet Seat
Safely sit and stand up from your toilet with this Vive Toilet Safety Frame (Check it on Amazon.com) featuring a compact toilet rail for additional safety, stability and support.
The portable toilet chair for elderly is perfect for seniors struggling with balance issues, arthritis or recovering from surgery because you can hold on to the handles as you sit gently on the seat.
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- Fits all standard toilets that are oval shaped
- Soft nonslip handles
- Adjustable handles
- Compact and lightweight aluminum frame
- The frame easily attaches directly to the toilet without any tools
- It does not interfere with regular cleaning
- It’s very stable and secure
- The padded handles offer a comfortable non-slip grip
- You can adjust the width of the handles from 17inches to 20 inches to accommodate someone who is bigger
If you push out the handles when getting up or sitting down, they will move away causing instability.
2. Drive Medical Premium Seat Riser with Removable Arms.
This Drive Medical Premium Seat Riser (Check it on Amazon.com) is a step up from the above Vive seat because it adds an additional 3.5 inches to your toilet so it’s easy to sit and get up.
On top of that the high toilet seat for elderly comes with stable handles to hold on to so you can take the pressure off your knees and back.
- Padded armrests that are 19.75 inches apart
- Heavy-duty molded plastic construction
- Weight capacity of
- Its lightweight and easily portable
- Allows you to use the existing toilet seat and lid
- The senior toilet seat can be used with or without the armrests
- Its light but very durable and stable
- Very easy to clean
- You don’t need any tools for installation as this toilet chair for elderly attaches easily to the existing toilet seat and lid
- It fits in all standard toilets
There are several complaints that the plastic toilet seat for old people is poor quality and not durable.
3. Vive Raised Toilet Seat – Portable Elevated Riser with Padded Handles.
Vive also has their own raised toilet seats for elderly that adds a whopping 5 inches to your toilet to make it easy for seniors dealing with arthritis and disability to use the toilet without pain.
This Vive Raised Toilet Beautiful Seat (Check it on Amazon.com) also has very comfortable handles you can hold on to for support and it fits most standard toilets and elongated toilets.
- Very comfortable design for both men and women
- Durable heavy plastic construction
- Weight capacity of 250lbs
- Padded handles for comfort and slip-free grip
- Locking plate to ensure a secure fit to the toilet bowl
- The seat easily attaches to most toilets without the use of tools
- It’s easy to clean because you just need to wipe with a clean cloth
- The seat and the handles are very stable and secure
- Its easily portable and easy to remove when you need to travel or just clan
- It is a durable and comfortable toilet seat
It is among the most expensive toilet seats for the elderly available in the market.
4. Drive Medical Folding Bedside Commode Seat.
This Drive Medical Portable Commode For Elderly (Check it on Amazon.com) has some significant differences from the other toilets for old people we have covered but it is designed to serve the same purpose and more.
This frame comes with adjustable legs that can be configured to be used as a bedside commode, toilet safety frame or elevated toilet seat.
- Tool free removable back
- Comfortable armrests for support
- Height adjustable legs at the touch of a button
- Blue power coated steel welded construction
- Comes with a snap on set, 12-quart commode bucket with cover, carry handle and splash guard
- Its versatile and can be used in many different situations
- It’s very strong and durable
- The commode can be folded easily for storage and travel
- It’s very affordable
- The legs are adjustable so you can use it as a raised toilet seat
- It’s easy to assemble and use
This commode is not designed for large people a it is small in width.
5. PCP Raised Toilet Seat with Safety Frame.
5PCP Raised Toilet Seat (Check it on Amazon.com) is a unique frame that works as a safety frame for seniors and disable and also as a raised toilet seat.
This elevated toilet seat with legs height adjusts from 18inches to 23 inches which is pretty cool and it has comfortable armrests for support and comfort.
- Vinyl hand grips and silencer rings
- Molded plastic seat with encircling splash guard
- 21 inch width but 18 inches between the handles
- 300lbs weight capacity
- The seat comes pre-assembled so you don’t need to do anything more
- It’s easily portable and lightweight
- Easy to adjust and clean
- Comfortable handgrips
It is very expensive.
Reduce the risk of slipping, falling and going through pain when using the toilet by buying a toilet seat with handles for elderly.
Next to good health, safety especially in the bathroom is crucial for elderly people who are delicate and need special care.