|1. Vive||2. Drive Medical||3. Essential Medical|
Toilet seat risers for seniors are great at ensuring safety and mobility for elderly people when using the toilet.
The average toilet height is usually 15 inches tall with the highest being 17 inches and that is still too low for old people with joint problems.
Bending joints, knees and hips many times in a day for people with arthritis, back pain and replaced hips can be quite the task.
These are normal issues as people get old and their bones become brittle making every strenuous activity a danger to their bones.
What Is A Toilet Seat Riser?
A toilet seat lifter for bathroom safety is an assistive device placed on top of the toilet seat to improve accessibility of toilets to old and disabled people.
It helps to prevent falls and make it easy to transfer from a wheelchair to the toilet.
Toilet seat risers with arms simply make the toilet taller so it’s easier to get on and off without bending your hips and knees too much.
They come in many shapes and sizes and they can be attached on the toilet permanently or put on the side.
How Does A Raised Toilet Seat Help The Elderly?
Even as people get old and gray, they still want to live with dignity and have independence when it comes to things like going to the toilet and showering.
A raised toilet seat enables the elderly to achieve that independence because they can still go to the toilet without human assistance even if they are in a wheelchair.
2. Prevent Falling
Loss of balance and strength on the legs and arms can cause an elderly person to fall when they are trying to sit on a low toilet.
When the toilet is high enough, the person will have no problem using it without falling.
3. Prevent Pain
Brittle bone, replaced hips, arthritis and many other problems that accompany old age can be very painful.
Old people need a toilet that will require little or no bending so they don’t feel pain when using the toilet.
Top 5 Best Toilet Seat Risers For Seniors 2020
1. Vive Raised Toilet Seat for Elderly – Portable Elevated Riser with Padded Handles
Vive Raised Toilet Seat For Elderly is among the best handicap toilet seat with handles designed with comfort and safety in mind.
The seat adds a whopping 5 inches on your toilet and it fits on most standard and elongated toilets.
- Durable heavy duty plastic
- Supports up to 250pounds of weight
- Padded handles for extra stability
- Locking plates for stability and secure fit
- Contoured surface for comfort
- Deep front recess for hygienic reasons
- Easy to sit down and stand up
- Fits any toilet easily
- Easy tool-free installation
- Easy to clean because you only need to wipe
- Extra stable and secure
- Lightweight and easily portable
- There are complaints that the opening is too small.
2. Drive Medical Toilet Seat Riser with Removable Arms
This Drive Medical Raised Toilet Seat with safety frame is designed for people who have difficulty sitting and getting up from a toilet due to health issues and old age.
The elevator adds 3.5 inches to the toilet height which is perfect for most people and it attaches easily beneath your existing toilet seat and lid.
- Rubberized padded armrests that are 19.75 inches apart for comfort and support
- Heavy duty molded plastic construction
- Fits standard toilets
- Weight capacity of 300lbs.
- It’s very easy to install without tools and easy to clean
- The padded arms can be removed with an easy push button for more space
- Its lightweight and portable
- Wide opening
- Strong and durable
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Some people complain that it moves backwards and forward a lot.
- it’s hard to clean between the seat and the toilet bowl
3. Essential Medical Elevated Toilet Seat with Arms
This Essential Medical Elevated Toilet Seat is a lot like the Drive Medical toilet seat riser above because it installs under your toilet seat.
What this means is that you get the elevation of a toilet seat riser but you still enjoy the comfort of your own toilet seat and also closing the lid.
- Padded arms that are 19.5 inches apart to make it easier to get on and off
- Toilet seat riser is 3.5 inches tall
- Comes with all the hardware and instructions
- Available in standard and elongated sizes
- The padded arms are removable to create more space
- Very easy to clean
- Allows you to use your own toilet bowl
- Easy to install
- Very comfortable and stable
- The seat moves too much so you have to really tighten the screws.
4. SP Ableware Elevated Toilet Seat Riser With Arms And Legs
SP Ableware Elevated Toilet Seat with handles and legs is quite different from all the seat elevators reviewed in this article because it has legs. T
he 4inch elevated toilet seat with legs slides very easily up and down the toilet frame and the legs can be adjusted to whatever height you feel comfortable with.
- Soft foam armrests to assist in getting up and down the toilet seat
- Slip-in-el bracket to secure the seat to the toilet
- Suitable for standard and elongated toilets
- Weight capacity of 400 pounds
- Extra wide raised toilet seat with safety
- Made of sturdy aluminum or steel
- You can replace the slip-in bracket with bolt-down lok-in-el for a more permanent attachment
- It’s incredibly comfortable to sit on
- The bracket secures it perfectly so there is no movement
- Soft foam armrests are comfortable and strong
- Super easy to install and take off without any tools
- Lightweight and portable
- Easy to clean
- The raised toilet seat with arms and leg slides downwards too easily and refuses to lock in place.
5. Nova Toilet Seat Elevator with Arms For Seniors.
This toilet seat elevator from NOVA Medical products is specially designed to cater for elderly people dealing with arthritis, painful joints and loss of balance.
NOVA Toilet Seat Elevator adds 3.5 inches to your toilet seat so it’s also suitable for disabled people using a wheel chair.
- Strong padded arms to offer support for the user when getting up and down the toilet
- Allows the original toilet seat and lid to be used
- Bolts directly to the toilet bowl
- Comes with all the necessary hardware for installation
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- It’s very comfortable and the padded arms add more comfort and support
- Easy to install without tools
- You don’t need to alter your toilet too much as it allows original seat and lid to be used
- Very easy to clean because its non-porous plastic
- Incredibly sturdy and durable
- Doesn’t move around at all
- It’s hard to clean between the seat and the toilet bowl because it sits snuggly on top of the toilet.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Toilet Seat Risers For Seniors
Choosing toilet seat risers for seniors is a bit tricky because there is no one-size-fits-all.
The toilet seat risers for elderly are found in many shapes and designs and every individual has special needs that need to be catered to.
Here are some of the most important features to look for when buying a portable raised toilet seat;
Different toilet seat risers for seniors have different heights ranging from 2inches to 5 inches.
Some people would think that the highest seat riser is the best but it will be dangerous for someone who is not tall because their legs would be hanging in the air.
Make sure you know the height of the user and buy accordingly.
The average raised toilet seat with arms is able to hold up to 250lbs. however, there are many people who are heavier than this and would therefore not be suitable to use such a seat elevator.
Consider the weight of the user and buy a toilet seat riser with arms and legs that can handle that weight and much more.
How stable is the seat elevator when you place it on top of the toilet seat? Some seat risers come with arms and locking clamps to ensure the seat is secure and stable during use.
However, if the person has good balance, a raised toilet seat with grab bars and simple non-skid pads will do.
The best toilet seat risers for elongated toilets should be easy to put on and off the toilet bowl because not everybody in the home will find it comfortable.
Even if the elderly person is the only one who used that room, the elevator should be lightweight and easily portable to another room in case they need to move.
Be sure that the elongated raised toilet seat is the same shape as your toilet bowl so it can fit perfectly.
Choose a shape that is also easy to clean and has a large sloped opening at the front for male genitals if it’s for a man.
While the best toilet risers for seniors will help a great deal with safety and ease of use, it’s also good to ensure everything else in that bathroom is safe.
The caretaker or the nurse must ensure that there is ample lighting in the room and everything from the floor, counters and walls are clean and dry to reduce bathroom injuries.