|1. Propet||2. Orthofeet||3. Propet|
Old age brings with it many expected and unexpected changes in one’s body. One of those changes is fashionable clothing especially shoes and they have to wear shoes for elderly with swollen feet.
As people grow old, their bodies change accordingly for the worse and they may experience health conditions that cause the legs to swell and also lack of balance that dictate you get better shoes to avoid falls and such accidents.
My top picks
- Propet Men’s Cush N Foot Slipper.
- Orthofeet Comfortable Plantar Fasciitis Extra Wide Diabetic Boots.
- PropÃ©t Women’s Olivia Oxford.
- Womens Comfortable Indoor/Outdoor Sandals .
- Grasshoppers Women’s Stretch Plus Hook-and-Loop Sneaker.
Why Are Shoes For Swollen Feet Elderly Important?
Once a person gets to the age of 50 and above, they start noticing that their legs are enlarging especially the ankle part…
Wearing the best shoes for elderly with swollen feet is the best way to cope with this sudden or gradual change in your feet and continue having a comfortable life.
Here are other reasons to wear shoes for swollen feet;
- Prevent Falls:
The leading cause of injuries in elderly persons is falls that are mostly caused by wearing the wrong shoes.
When people get old, their balance gets a little out of place and the wrong shoes can make the situation worse.
Wide shoes help to reduce the chances of falls and injuries by adding some balance and support to the walk.
- Reduce Swelling:
There are so many reasons why an elderly person’s feet can swell including medical conditions and inactivity.
If you continue to wear the same tight shoes you were wearing before, the blood flow to the feet will be restricted and the swelling will get worse instead of better.
Wide adjustable shoes for elderly allow ample blood flow and relaxation to the feet so they can relax and stop swelling.
- Prevent Pain
Swollen feet can get pretty painful if you keep forcing them into tight shoes. You can also develop bunions and carouses that are also painful and uncomfortable to live with.
What are the common What Causes Swollen Feet?
Swollen feet when you are young can be caused by pregnancy and walking too much. However, when you are old, swelling is caused by different reasons such as;
After retirement, people don’t move about too much and they spend most of their time sitting down.
This sedentary lifestyle is not good for the blood flow and it causes feet swelling because the feet are not getting enough blood. The solution to this is to take a walk everyday if you can.
- Medical Conditions.
There are so many health conditions that accompany old age and cause swelling on the feet.
Such conditions include arthritis, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, liver and kidney disease and hypertension.
One must ensure that the conditions are well controlled medically and follow the right diet and exercise regimen.
If you fall or get injured in any other way, the legs can get swollen pretty fast. Legs can also swell if you have been bitten by an insect or you retain too much water.
What To Look For When Buying The Best Shoes For Elderly With Swollen Feet
Buying shoes for elderly with swollen feet is more than just picking the widest shoes you find in the store.
These features have to come to play for the shoe to be considered perfect for the elderly person;
The rule of thumb is that you should pick half a size or a full size bigger than what you normally wear.
However, sometimes the swelling can go down or up rendering that shoe useless.
The best method is to buy a wider shoe that can be adjusted according to the condition of the feet.
The last thing you want on top of swollen feet is more weight because they are heavy enough.
The best shoes for elderly swollen feet should therefore be very lightweight and easy to carry.
Everything from the sole to the upper part should be light but durable
The importance of comfortable shoes cannot be emphasized enough especially when your feet are swollen.
No matter how swollen our feet are, they should feel comfortable inside the shoes and not painful.
The best shoes for edema patients or swollen feet should have well-padded interior, adjustable straps, innersole and a comfortable outer sole.
Your feet especially the ankle should feel well supported but there should be some room to breathe also.
- Ease of Use
Most elderly people have back issues and they cannot be able to bend for long to put on shoes and tie them down.
The ideal shoes for seniors with swollen feet should be one that can be pulled up fast without any help.
Try to avoid shoe laces and buckles as they can be difficult to deal with when one is old. Velcro straps are preferable because they are easy to wear and take off.
Top 5 Best Shoes for Elderly with Swollen Feet 2021
1. PropÃ©t Men’s Cush N Foot Slipper For Swollen Feet
Propet is a fast-growing shoe company that has been on the forefront for making the best shoes for elderly with swollen feet.
These Propet Cush N Foot Shoes For Elderly Man (Get it On Amazon.com) with swollen feet provide incredible cushioning and comfort to your swollen feet.
The soft accommodating neoprene combined with the stretchable corduroy upper allows your swollen feet to feel right at home.
They are amazing walking shoes for swollen diabetic feet and can be worn at home or when going out.
- Extra-large opening
- Secure hook and loop closure
- Synthetic sole
- Medicare approved
- Terrycoat insoles
- Easy to wear and take off
- Gives the swollen feet plenty of room
- They are stretchable
- Provide good support and balance
- The sole has little grip on slippery surfaces
2. Orthofeet Comfort Orthopedic Velcro Shoes For Swollen Diabetic Feet
Orthofeet have spared no expense when making these leather cute shoes for swollen feet.
The lightweight Velcro shoes for elderly feature a non-binding, extra depth design and wide toe box to ensure there is no pressure on the bunions and ankles.
Everything about the way these Orthofeet Comfort Orthopedic Velcro shoes for swollen feet (Get it On Amazon.com)Â is designed screams comfort and it is also meant to help with foot pain, heel pain, arch pain and joint pain.
They are perfect for seniors because they are roomy with a low shock design and cushioned bottom.
- Premium Orthotic Insole
- Easy Gait – Ortho-Cushion™ System To Soften The Step
- Soft-Seam Free Interior Lining
- Easy To Wear And Take Off
- Very Comfortable To Wear For Long
- Good Grip On The Outsole
- Very Durable
- The shoe is a little wide
3. PropÃ©t Women’s Olivia Oxford
PropÃ©t Women’s Olivia Oxford (Get it On Amazon.com)Â are among the best shoes for swollen feet women’s category with a comfortable synthetic sole.
The beautiful and elegant leather shoes for swollen feet elderly are Medicare approved for diabetic footwear and they are suitable for feet with bunions, hammertoes or any other condition that requires a little room.
- Padded collar and tongue
- Single strap closure system
- Double insoles featuring ortholite
- Soft leather and pu upper
- They are stretchy shoes for swollen feet
- It’s both functional to comfort feet issues and very stylish as well
- The extra volume insole system allows customized fit and comfort
- Lightweight travel outsole and amazing traction
- They seems to be a little slippery
4. Womens Comfortable Adjustable Sandals For Swollen Feet
If the feet are too swollen or painful, wearing closed shoes may not be a good idea.
These Silvert’s Comfortable Womens Adjustable Sandals For Swollen Feet (Get it On Amazon.com)Â are the perfect shoes for the elderly because they are open giving your feet cool and comfortable support.
The adjustable slippers for swollen feet are made of polyester and they are extremely easy to clean.
The wedge heel and cushioned insole makes the person feel like they are walking on clouds because they are so comfortable.
- Generous fit in length
- Adjustable strap that opens up completely
- Cushioned insoles with memory foam and antimicrobial; material
- Wedge heel with skid resistance soles
- They are washable
- They are comfortable and roomy for women with diabetes, arthritis and all conditions that cause pain and swelling
- Hook and loop fastener is easy to close and open
- Lightweight and can be worn all day indoors or outdoors
- They are generally very wide
5. Grasshoppers Women’s Stretchy Shoes For Swollen Feet
One of the most important things old people can do to stay fit and healthy is to be active and walk around often.
These Grasshoppers Women’s Low-Top SneakersÂ (Get it On Amazon.com) are the perfect wide fitting shoes for swollen feet and an active lifestyle.
The beautiful AMA-approved old people swollen feet shoes feature a mesh and suede upper to keep your feet cool and dry all day long.
The adjustable shoes for swollen feet come with a rubber outsole and rounded heel to decrease the impact on your knees and follow your feet’s natural movement.
- Easy on/off hook and loop closure
- Purefittm comfort cushion arch
- Ortholite sockliner
- Stretch leather
- Removable footbed
- Moisture wicking and odor control
- Slow recovery impressions memory foam for maximum comfort
- Extended widths available
- Very lightweight
- The tongue is uncomfortable and not wide enough
While there are many shoes for elderly with swollen feet in the market, every individual needs are different.
Many reviews from customers show that most of those men’s shoes for swollen feet turned out to be wider or smaller than their feet and they had to return them.
It is therefore important to go and shop physically so the elderly person can fit the shoe before buying and get the perfect size.
- Best Velcro Shoes For Seniors
- Best Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
- Most Comfortable Shoes For Diabetics
- Best Easiest Smartphone For Seniors
- Best Safe Slippers For Elderly
Carl is emphatic towards the cause of senior care and works tirelessly on this cause. This drove him to create a resource aimed at helping elders with accessible information to make an informed choice.