Going to the toilet is something most people do without even thinking about it. For elderly people however, this simple task brings anxiety and pain into their minds if they don’t have a higher toilet for elderly.
Unfortunately, most toilets are designed to sit very low which means you have to really bend your legs and back to get to the toilet seat.
When you have stiff joints, arthritis, backache and weak muscles like most elderly people, bending your legs is not exactly a walk in the park so using normal height toilets is really a painful experience for elderly people.
What Is High / Tall Toilets Or Comfort Height Toilets?
What are comfort height toilets? Comfort height toilets are those toilets that basically stand 2 or more inches higher than ordinary toilets meaning from the ground to the seat it’s approximately 17 or 19inches or more.
The reason for this is to help people who struggle to bend their knees and back when using the toilet to be able to sit and get back up with ease.
Tall toilets for elderly are suitable for really tall people, people living with disability, people with arthritis or other mobility and joint issues and of course the elderly.
This type of old people toilet is very comfortable on your legs and back even if you sit there for a long time and you won’t be numb when getting up.
Why Do Seniors Need Toilet for Elderly?
Senior citizens start to lose muscle strength and it can be very hard for them to bend all the way down to 15 inches and get back up without falling.
A tall toilet for seniors ensures that an elderly person is able to sit on the toilet without bending too much so there are fewer chances of falling and hurting themselves.
Despite their old age, elderly people still want to live with dignity especially when matters to do with toilet use are concerned.
As long as he or she can still go to the bathroom, they prefer to go alone and retain their independence and dignity.
Comfort height toilets for elderly are a gift to elderly people who still have their mental faculties together and want their freedom.
- Reduce Pain.
It is not a surprise that most elderly people deal with joint pains, back aches and all sorts of pains in their bodies.
The last thing you want to do is subject someone who is already in pain to more pain caused by squatting and bending.
The correct toilet heights for seniors are 17, 18 and 19 inches so it can be comfortable on the entire body.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Toilet For Elderly
Choosing a higher toilet for elderly is not simply a matter of picking the tallest toilet in the shop. You have to consider the user and many other factors that make the toilet safe and comfortable for everyone;
1.Â Â Â Â Easy To Clean
Choose a toilet that is easy to clean because they are prone to unbelievable messes.
You can also get another color if possible because white is high maintenance and a material like vitreous China that is durable and easy to clean.
2.Â Â Â Â Economical With Water
Elderly people visit the toilet many times during the day so you must ensure the toilet doesn’t waste too much water.
High toilets for seniors must have a powerful flash to enhance the cleaning and bulk waste removal without wasting too much water.
Insist on getting a WaterSense Certified toilet that consumes less than a gallon of water per flush.
Top 5 Best Toilet for Elderly 2021
1. Aqua-Magic V RV Toilet For Seniors
This toilet makes it to this list of wonderful toilets for the elderly because a lot of elderly people like to spend their sunset years together on the road enjoying life.
- Single pedal system that adds water when pressed halfway and flushes when pressed fully
- Lightweight plastic toilet suitable for rvs
- High toilet seat for elderly seating at 17.5 inches
- Textured lid to resist scuffs
- Offers 100% bowl coverage flush for better cleaning
- It’s as comfortable as a household toilet
- Easy to install and use
- The single hand flush is very easy to use for elderly people
- Great height for elderly and disabled people
- You can reduce water consumption by installing a hand sprayer
- Most people say the toilet bowl is too small for adults and even the water jet sprays the ater outside the bowl.
2. Kohler K-3609-0 Cimarron Comfort Height Toilet for Elderly
This KOHLER K-3609-0 Cimarron Toilet is a two-piece toilet featuring a k-4309 bowl and k-4421 tanks holding only 1.28 gallons of water per flush to save water.
The toilet has an elongated bowl and sits at a good chair-height to make sitting and getting up easy for the elderly.
- Elongated bowl for added room and comfort
- Sitting height of 19inches
- Two piece toilet
- Aquapiston technology flush engine
- It’s a water efficient toilet releasing only 1.28 gallons per flush
- The seat and the height are very comfortable for everybody
- It packs a powerful flash to eliminate any clog and thoroughly cleans the bowl
- It’s very easy to install and doesn’t leak at all
- Very easy to clean and the material doesn’t stain easily
- This toilet doesn’t come with a toilet seat or hardware for installation.
3. Kohler 3810-0 Santa Rosa Comfort Height Toilet For Elderly
The KOHLER 3810-0 Santa Rosa Toilet is another great toilet with higher toilet seat for elderly that makes it easy for elderly people to sit down and get up without any pain.
It’s a one-piece toilet that integrates the tank and the bowl into a seamless design which is beautiful and easy to clean.
- One piece toilet
- Elongated bowl for extra comfort and ensure there is no leakage
- Seat and lid included
- Comfort height of 17 to 19 inches
- 28 gallon per flush
- It’s very easy to install and flush
- The seamless design makes it easy to clean
- Saves a lot of water when flushing
- It’s very comfortable thanks to the comfort height and elongated bowl
- The flush valve packs quite a punch to clear all clogs and thoroughly clean the bowl
- Its compact in size and saves on space
- It’s a very affordable toilet
- The toilet seat is thin and uncomfortable so you can replace it with a better one.
4. Toto Vespin II Two-Piece High-Efficiency Toilet
For people who absolutely hate cleaning toilets, this Toto Vespin II Two-Piece High-Efficiency Toilet will be the perfect choice.
It’s among the best toilet for elderly featuring a skirted design which not only looks better than the normal curvy intestines but it also allows the toilet to clean itself with just one flash so you don’t have to use a brush or a plunger every time.
- Powerful flushing technology
- Elongated bowl that occupies very small space
- Decorative two piece toilet design with high profile tank
- 12-inch uni-fit rough-in (included means that you need at least 12 inches of clearance between the wall and the toilet fixture/hole.
- Double cyclone flushing system
- It’s easy to clean and takes care of everything in just one flush
- It uses only 1.28 gallons of water per flush
- Its comfort height to make it easier for people to get up and sit down
- Sanagloss ceramic glaze prevents anything from getting stuck on the bowl
- This toilet is very expensive compared to other toilets but it offers more benefits.
5. Kohler K-3658-0 Highline Comfort Height Toilet
This Kohler K-3658-0 Highline Toilet is not as high as other comfort height toilets for seniors but it sits at 16.5 inches which is good for people who are not very tall.
- Class Five flushing system
- Elongated toilet bowl design for comfort
- Beautiful two piece toilet design
- Canister flush valve for flushing actuation and consistent water usage
- Comfort height for short people
- The flushing technology has powerful flushing capabilities for amazing bowl cleanliness with just one flush
- The comfort height and elongated bowl design makes this toilet very comfortable
- The toilet is very easy to clean
- Saves a lot of water per flush
- Very easy to install and doesn’t make noise when flushing
- It’s has a two stage lever system where you can flash a little bit for less water or flush all the way to get rid of stubborn waste
- It does not come with a toilet seat or wax ring so you have to buy them separately.
This review features a mix of raised toilets for elderly that from type, shapes and budgets to suit everybody.
However, if you don’t have the money or the desire to replace your old toilet with a higher toilet for elderly because of sentimental value, you can always consider buying a toilet raiser which is cheaper and removable.
- Best Toilet Seat Risers For Seniors
- Best Diapers For Old Age People
- Best Bedside Rails For Seniors
- Trapeze Bar For Bed Mobility
- Best Bed Wetting Pads For Adults And Elderly
- Best Front Closing Bras For Elderly Women
Carl is emphatic towards the cause of senior care and works tirelessly on this cause. This drove him to create a resource aimed at helping elders with accessible information to make an informed choice.