Quick Overview: Our Top 5 Picks for Walking Cane For Stability
|Hugo Mobility||VIEW ON AMAZON >|
|HurryCane||VIEW ON AMAZON >|
|Vive||VIEW ON AMAZON >|
|Gratia||VIEW ON AMAZON >|
|Ohuhu||VIEW ON AMAZON >|
Best cane for balance problems really help seniors to walk upright without human assistance and avoid falls.
Most people think of walking canes as those dirty wooden sticks their grandfather used to carry and chase them with.
Today, canes for walking support are very versatile and come in many designs, materials and shapes to fit every user.
My Top Picks
- Hugo Mobility Quadpod Offset Cane with Ultra Stable Cane.
- HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane.
- Vive Lightweight Adjustable Quad Cane.
- Gratia Luxury Folding Cane.
- Ohuhu Folding Walking Cane with LED Light.
What Is A Walking Cane For Balance?
Walking canes for elderly support are long support rods made of either wood or metal to give support and balance to the elderly person struggling with balance or an injury.
The basic walking canes are made of wood and they have a curved or straight handle. Wooden canes are very affordable and strong but they are not adjustable or durable.
The best walking cane for balance problems is made of metal or aluminum because they are more versatile and durable.
Top 5 Best Walking Canes For Stability 2021
1. Hugo Mobility Quad Walking Canes For Elderly
If you want the benefits of a quad base cane without the high price tag and excess weight, you should consider this Hugo Mobility Quad Walking Cane (Get it On Amazon.com).
It is made of heavy-gauge anodized aluminum so it’s very strong and durable but not too heavy.
- Ultra stable and compact cane tip
- 12 precision height settings using push buttons
- Shock absorbing cushion top handle
- Reflective strap for nighttime safety
- Its height adjustable so it can accommodate people of all heights
- The quad design offers stability and support
- Its durable but affordable
- Fits comfortably in your hand
- It can slide in uneven or slippery terrain
2. HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane for Balance
HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane (Get it On Amazon.com) is one of the best walking sticks for elderly and it’s also the number 1 selling cane in America thanks to the innovative cutting-edge technology applied to design it.
This cane is made to feel like a natural part of your body and it features a Steadigrip base that simulates your feet’s natural stability and it automatically flexes on uneven ground, inclines and fluctuating terrain.
- Adjustable height between 30.5 to 37.5 inches
- Non-skid traction
- Versatile stability thanks to the ergonomic design
- Weight capacity of 350lbs.
- The cane folds up to one-third of the size
- Increases traction and balance in any terrain
- It’s very light
- Stands on its own
- Ergonomic, comfortable handle on your hand
- Doesn’t stand on its own in slippery or uneven terrain
3. Vive Adjustable Quad Cane – Lightweight Walking Stick for Men & Women
Vive Adjustable Quad Cane (Get it On Amazon.com) is one of the best walking sticks or seniors if you want something with superior stability and traction.
This cane can easily navigate over any surface indoors or outdoors and it is made of durable anodized aluminum.
- Non-slip four pronged base
- Comfortable ergonomic grip
- Lightweight frame that is corrosion resistant
- Locking knob and brass locking pin for safety
- The height is adjustable to suit all people
- It is made of durable material
- It’s very affordable
- Comfortable on your hands
- Can be used by both right-handed and left-handed people
- No drawbacks at all
4. Ez2care Gratia Folding Cane for Mobility Aid
For those who want a little extra in their walking cane, Ez2care Gratia Folding Cane (Get it On Amazon.com) luxury designer cane showcases your fashionable side thanks to the stylish and soft black velvet bag, and well-crafted gift box emblazoned with a gold foiled gratia logo.
The cane has a 3-year warranty and comes with an authenticity card so you can be sure it’s genuine.
- Conical joint design for superior transmission
- It collapses into a small package for storage and portability
- Slip resistant rubber tip
- Ergonomically shaped handmade wooden handle for a comfortable grip
- Lightweight frame at only 11lbs.
- Made of very durable corrosion resistant anodized aluminum
- Adjustable height from 32’’ to 36’’
- Available in beautiful purple and rose gold colors
- The wooden handle chips off after a while.
5. Ohuhu Folding Walking Cane – Adjustable Walking Stick
Ohuhu Folding Walking Cane (Get it On Amazon.com) is one of the best walking sticks for seniors for more than one reason.
It features a 360 degree anti-slip pivoting base that enables it to stand on its own and also easy to walk with on any terrain.
- Its foldable and portable in a carrying bag
- 5 adjustable height levels with a simple button push on top of the cane.
- Comes with 6 built in led lights to guide you in the dark
- Ergonomically shaped handle that is comfortable on your hand
- Its lightweight and durable
- Very affordable
- You have to hold it the right way for the lights to be on.
The best walking cane for balance problems is better than those unqualified cheap walkers for seniors especially if you find one with extra features and great stability.
Your physiotherapist or doctor can recommend a good cane for you and also teach you how to use a cane with a bad knee or any other mobility issues.
Types Of Walking Canes For Seniors And Elders.
Walking canes have really advanced since those days of wooden sticks with a hook.
Today they are found in many more types than you can imagine and they are all designed to serve different needs and make life a whole lot easier. Here are the most common types of stability walking canes;
1. Standard Walking Cane
This is the most basic type of walking sticks for elderly that most people are familiar with.
The idea is simply a long support rod with a curved or straight handle and they are very affordable.
This is not the best walking cane for stability who have serious issues with mobility, eyesight and arthritis as it only offers help for mild balance problems.
2. Offset Handle Cane
An offset handle cane has a crooked cane that helps to distribute weight along the whole stick and not just the handle.
It is better than standard canes as far as balance and support are concerned and they are more comfortable on the hand especially if you are walking for a while.
3. Quad Base Cane
The best walking cane for leg weakness and balance problems is a quad base cane.
This is a normal cane with the exception of having a wider base with 4 cane tips touching the ground for more balance and support.
It is obviously more stable and your weight will be well distributed on the four joints. This cane is able to stand on its own but it’s a bit heavy.
4. Folding Cane
A folding cane is made of many segments that are joined together with an elastic cord.
The cane is collapsible so you can carry it in your bag and take it out only when you need to use it.
How To Use A Cane Properly.
The proper way to use a cane when you have an injury is to hold it on the opposite side of the leg that is injured.
Human beings maintain balance when walking because the right leg moves together with the left hand so placing the cane on the opposite side of the injury and walking them in unison will help to maintain balance.
It’s also very important to have the cane at the proper height so you don’t bend or hurt your wrist if the cane is too long.
Know also how to use a cane on stairs because you have to put your cane first then step with your weak leg first followed by the good one.
What To Look Out For When Buying The Best Cane For Balance Problems
Contrary to popular belief, a cane is not just a cane. You must have the correct features to suit your needs and also makes sure the cane is not hurting you even more.
Here are some of the most important features to look for when choosing the best cane for balance problems;
1. Adjustable Height
Walking with a cane that is not the correct height can be more detrimental to your physique than walking without a cane.
The best walking canes for seniors and elderly have a pin that you can push to change the height and ensure it locks securely in place so you don’t trip.
The top of your cane should be touching just below your hip and your hand should bend just a little on the elbow.
The worst thing that can happen is to fall when you are holding onto a stick.
Whether it has one foot or four, the best walking cane for balance problems should have rubber covered legs that will not slide on the floor as you are walking.
Rubber is a great material to put on the legs because it is grippy on any terrain and doesn’t war off quickly.
3. Quality Material
The best walking cane for stability should be made of a material that is durable, lightweight and sturdy.
While metal and wood are the most common, aluminum is the best material to make walking sticks for old people.
Aluminum meets all the conditions of a good walking stick and it is very sturdy and affordable.